Author Topic: Advice to a Young Wife from an Old Mistress  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Hidden

• Legendary Member
Advice to a Young Wife from an Old Mistress
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »
Advice to a Young Wife from an Old Mistress by Michael Drury

An interesting excerpt from a book called Advice To A Young Wife From An Old Mistress, written by female author Michael Drury, copyright 1958, 1965, 1993. It's a little wordy, can be tough to follow in spots if you're trying to read fast. Take into  consideration it was written 50 years ago. A few interesting thoughts. I may have to buy the book.

http://www.tangomag.com/2006147/wife-mistress-woman.htmlprint

From Library Journal
It might sound salacious, but in fact this is "a remarkably thoughtful and philosophical little treatise" (LJ 9/15/68). Published in the Sixties, it originally sold over 100,000 copies and was reprinted in a small paperback edition last year. Now Random is doing a hardcover edition with a big print run-in time for the NBC movie starring Anne Bancroft.
Copyright 1994 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Book Description
A revised edition of a classic first published 25 years ago Advice to a Young Wife from an Old Mistress examines love--and love affairs--with understated eloquence. The value of romantic exclusivity, the influence of money as power over sex, and other critical issues are addressed in this extraordinary book soon to be a TV movie. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

If you've read this book, please post reviews.

Click title to review and/or purchase this book from Amazon:
Advice to a Young Wife from an Old Mistress

added more info and amazon link ~Admin
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 11:26:42 PM by Admin »
----

Patrick = my love
BB - Adopted baby brother
The Crazy Lady - Patrick's W
The Cousin - Patrick's current GF
Canada - Patrick's xMW
Turk - my roommate

Offline Hidden

• Superhero Member
  • Love is, above all else, the gift of oneself.
Re: The Other Woman: What A Mistress Knows
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:08:18 AM »

Very interesting ... and very enlightening, especially considering when it was written and by whom it is allegedly written.

I loved the comments though ... amazing how many people can't comprehend anything more difficult than a magazine article.  The piece did ramble, but it was written in the style of that day.  It also makes quite a few valid points.

I love the one where people get married and then stop ... their whole life a progression of steps and growth to the ultimate adult one of marriage.  Then nothing ... they stagnate, or grow that little bit left in them and then stagnate.  Then they decide they aren't in love.

Love is so much more than the "hearts and flowers" so believed amongst the younger generation, and even in a lot of cases, by our generation.  To feel real love ... that is something magnificant and rare.
Life is what you make it.  The choices are yours ... captive or free, sad or happy, torn or complete.  Making the choice is painful - living the decision gets easier every day.

Offline Hidden

• Banned
  • Life is Good
Re: Advice to a Young Wife from an Old Mistress
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »
I read this book when I was trying to  make my M better.  My W was not interested.  That said, it is a good perspective on the differences between men and women.  The" mistress was successful, past her marriage and into a man in the most romantic way.  Still she is practical and pragmatic.  Although I do not agree with all the advice she gives, I highly recommend the book
Boomer

Offline Hidden

Re: Advice to a Young Wife from an Old Mistress
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 12:13:48 AM »
I already feel a little bitter about the title of this book. What if you do everything and he still cheats? I haven't even read it and I'm already mad! (Lol just one of those days really) But I am curiuos.